Monday, November 16, 2009

Stone of the Week




This week's stone is a unique double faced stone of Ancient Egyptian images that stands up by itself. I was lucky to acquire a handful of stones that "stand on their own." These stones are flattened on one side allowing he to "stand" or have height to them. Because of the unique shape I can put a different image on each side of the stone, creating a two-in-one beach stone! To me this stone looks like a giant whale tooth. The colorization of a light granite gray speckled with dark grey granite. The unique shape of this stone gave me two work surfaces for creating. Playing around with some of my images I wanted too combine two great Ancient Egyptian icons: the Eye of Horus and Isis. In another time-space dimension I would be an Egyptologist. My beach stones allow me to create artwork based on one of my passions. The Eye of Hours is an ancient Egyptian symbol of protection and royal power from deities. The Rx sign for pharmacies is derived from the Eye of Hours. Isis is a goddess from Ancient Egypt that was worshiped as the ideal mother and wife as well as the patron of nature and magic. Isis is the mother of Horus. She was instrumental in the resurrection of her husband Osiris when he was murdered by Set. Isis is usually portrayed as a woman, wearing a headdress shaped like a throne. I love his stone because of the natural beauty of this stone. But I love it more because it allowed me to combine two images on one stone. The Isis image is delicate, fine and detailed contrasted to the bold and simple Eye of Hours. The cool shape of the stone allows it to sit flat on a desk or alter an either image to be displayed.

No comments:

Post a Comment